What to do in Mérida?
If you come to Mérida, dont forget to visit the following places, you wont regret it:
- Take a walking tour of the famous Paseo Montejo, the longest and most beautiful avenue (just over 5 km) in Mérida. Admire its old mansions dating from the colonial and Porfirian times. They will surprise you!
- Take a ride in Calandria (a kind of horse-drawn carriage) through the main streets of the Historic Center of the city; It will allow you to see, from another angle, various buildings, monuments and squares of the ;white capital.
- Get to know the Cantón Palace, a spectacular Neoclassical building that, nowadays, houses the Regional Museum, with its fantastic collection of pieces of the Mayan culture.
- On the same Paseo Montejo, admire the imposing Monument to the Homeland. Do not lose detail of each of his engravings that evoke different moments in the history of Mexico and that of Yucatan in particular.
- In the center of the city, admire the façade of the famous Montejo Palace or house, ordered to be built by the conqueror of the region, Francisco de Montejo, around the second half of the 16th century. Today, this building is home to an elegant museum sponsored by Fomento Cultural Banamex.
- Visit the Cathedral of San Ildefonso, which recently had a spectacular lighting that, at nightfall, allows spectators to admire its beautiful architectural details even better.
- Eat a marquesita of ball cheese or peanut butter in any of the public squares and parks that are located in the downtown area of Mérida.
- Visit the Macay Museum, located next to the Cathedral. Admire their magnificent collections of art objects ranging from Mayan pieces to complex artistic expressions such as graphics, concept paintings, watercolors and digital art!
- Savor the best of Yucatecan cuisine (panuchos, salbutes, lime soup, cochinita pibil, among other delicious dishes) in the different restaurants that are located in the first square of the “white” Mérida. We recommend visiting Los Almendros, a traditional establishment located in the surroundings of La Mejorada Park.
- Get on the Turibús that, with stops at various strategic points in the city, will allow you to get to know different corners of the capital while you take the funniest photos in the company of your partner, friends or family. They are sure to have fun!